HISTORY

Copy of PASSAGE GALA SLIDE (4).png

Passage History

Passage Theatre Company was established in 1985 by a group of theatre artists led by Founding Artistic Director Veronica Brady. These artists had one mission: to bring new, theatrical works to Trenton’s community through the production of high-quality, professional productions. Following a stint as Passage’s Education Director, June Ballinger took on the role of Artistic Director in 1995, and expanded Passage’s mission to include socially relevant work. During her 22-year tenure with Passage, Ballinger had an enormous impact in the company’s growth. In addition to growing the company’s budget, she founded Passage’s education program and sought out opportunities that would employ a more diverse and inclusive staff and artist pool.

In 2014, Damion Parran joined as Passage’s first Managing Director. Ballinger retired from her position in 2017, and C. Ryanne Domingues became Passage’s current Artistic Director. The current Board and Staff of Passage is incredibly grateful to those who came before us for their outstanding work, care, and vision. We thank them for their enormous dedication to the Trenton community, and look forward to helping the company grow well in the future.

The History of the
Mill Hill Playhouse 

The Gothic revival building was constructed in 1873 for the Messiah Chapel, an Adventist congregation. In 1902, the building became home to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Saviour. In 1967, the Saviour merged with another Lutheran Church and the building was left vacant. A fire in 1977 left the building roofless and it gutted. It was converted into a performing arts center, which opened in 1982. The playhouse has been Passage Theatre's principal venue since its founding in 1985.